Sunday 15 June 2014

Clare Wescott to celebrate 90th

Clare Westcott turns 90 on Tuesday, June 17, another milestone for the father of Jamie Westcott, the young award-winning Toronto Sun police desk reporter who died at 25 on June 13, 1989.

Clare’s career resume includes hydro worker, newsman, longtime Bill Davis aide, Metro Toronto Police Commission chairman, Ryerson Board of Governors member, National Parole Board member and citizen court judge.

He shares some of his experiences in a recent email note saying Bernie Webber, chairman of the board of JazzFM91, will be chatting with Brad Barker on his show on June 17 at 3 pm.

Clare writes: “Have no idea what they are going to say aside from wishing me a Happy Birthday.

“Jazz FM91 started more than 60 years ago as CJRT-FM at Ryerson Institute, now Ryerson University. It was then a mix of educational programming classes and music, mostly jazz.

“As a tiny FM station, its range was not far beyond the then tiny Ryerson`s campus. It was used as a teaching tool for students taking Journalism and, about 63 years ago, I was one of those students.

“All I remember is writing and editing copy for the sports broadcaster and once I read sport news and I`m sure I was terrible for I still remember trembling.

“In 1950, I came to Toronto from Seaforth to work for the Toronto Telegram. I enrolled in night school at Ryerson by mail before I left and I recall the cost for one year was $15.

“Classes were two nights a week and the teachers were mostly working Toronto news folks who were moonlighting. Classes were held in two-story frame buildings left from the war.

“I was so lucky (although I was fired from the Tely) for in the early 1960`s I was appointed to the board of Governors of Ryerson and in 1971 Premier Robarts and I were given honorary degrees.

“Bernie was an early data processing whiz and worked in the department of education in the 1960`s and later in other government ministries. He is really the father of today`s highly successful JazzFM91.”

Thank you for sharing the email, Clare.

And a very happy 90th.

No comments:

Post a Comment