Tuesday 12 February 2008

Love in the Sun

From day one in 1971, Toronto Sun Family members have been putting more than the paper to bed. Credit co-founders of the tabloid, who never felt the need to ban office romances.

Employees were always free to indulge, or not.

Reporting here that a whole lotta lovin' went on during the Eclipse Building years and in the subsequent decades at 333 King Street East is not news to Sun vets.

There were the one-nighters and assorted relationships - and the office gossip that came with the territory.

What was the pillow talk between the female Sun city editor and Sun police reporter after the latter moved to the Star?

And how did that amorous newsroom couple get away with making love in the women's washroom?

But enough gossip.

On the eve of Valentine's Day, TSF salutes the more lasting relationships spawned at the Tely and/or Sun, including:

Peter Worthington and Yvonne Crittenden.

Andy Donato and Diane Jackson.

Glen Woodcock and Connie Nicholson.

David Blizzard and Christina Smales.

Mike Patton and Kaarina Leinala.

Rob Lamberti and Siobhan Moore.

Jac Holland and Angie

(Sadly, other Sun unions ended too soon with deaths. Sam Ion and the late Cam Norton; Kathy Brooks and the late Bob Blackburn and the late Paul Heming; Sharon the receptionist and the late Mike McCabe, Doug Creighton's chauffer. And two men who had a lengthy and brave relationship during the Sun's more homophobic years.)

When TSF invited Sun vets to help mark Valentine's Day 2008 with office romance stories for a posting, we got e-mail:

Christina Blizzard, Queen's Park Bureau: "If you're talking about Sun romances, I think you should be looking at a book, rather than a posting!"

Gail Harvey, former photographer wrote: "My favourite romance is a sort of office romance. I set up a blind date for my friend Norma Woodward with Jerry Gladman. They fell in love at first sight, got married and were the happiest couple I knew - passionately in love until he died."

A shy former Sun vet wrote: "Despite rumours, I had only three office romances and married all three of them, at different times of course. None of them worked out, but had a lot of fun along the way. Loved them all, but my attention is somewhat short."

Ian Harvey, former reporter, found solace in an office romance after separating from his wife: "I was freshly separated - my lust for news probably had much to do with my wife's decision - and moping around.

About six to eight weeks after I split with the wife, I bumped into a columnist who asked if I wanted to go to an expo she was checking out down at the Royal York. I said sure, being between assignments and due for lunch anyway.

One thing led to another and we became an item, even though some of her colleagues suggested a newsroom romance wasn't smart and that I needed more time before getting involved with someone. As it turned out, we were good for each other. She stabilized me emotionally during a very rough period of my life and I like to think I returned the favour.

We both grew more confident and more rounded. She introduced me to some of the finer things in life, fine food, fine wines and travel, and I taught her about taking risks and chasing the story no matter what.

We lasted three years, on and off. She went on to buy her own house, meet a wonderful man and get married. We are still good friends and talk regularly. I've been through a couple of great relationships since and now I'm settled and living with someone.

I'll never forget the healing of those years. No one made an issue out of our relationship. I think of so many newsroom relationships over the years, some ended badly, some still sustain.

But there's nothing like a fellow journalist who understands the frustrations of the business and the demands it places on you and perhaps that's why so many (office romances) blossom and always will."

So, in addition to several successful decades of publishing a morning tabloid, Sun staffers have found love throughout the building, some lasting, some not.

As Ian Harvey said, finding romance off the job has always been a challenge for dedicated newspaper men and women - especially in the days of top drawer booze, press clubs and all-night parties.

For those who have found lasting love in the Sun, we salute you.

Do you have the names of other Sun couples, or a Sun office romance story to tell? E-mail TSF.

1 comment:

  1. My wife, Kim Goodchild, and myself, Glenn Fraser, met while working on the night shift in the Toronto Sun composing room. We were married in 1989 and we've been retired from the Sun for thirteen years. We're happy to report that there is life after the Sun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete