Wednesday 27 August 2008

Tom Braid replay

Most Canadian photojournalists sail through life without a whiff of personal danger, taking safe shots of cheque presentations, community events etc.

The rare exceptions include Tom Braid, the Edmonton Sun's photo editor, who looked down the barrel of an AK-47 in tense Somalia 16 years ago while on a Sun assignment with reporter Paul Bucci.

Edmonton Sun reporter Michelle Thompson replays Tom's harrowing experience in a story today that certainly captures the reality of his ordeal.

"I took a picture, spun around to take another picture and I had a gun on my face," Tom told Michelle. "An AK-47.

"I thought I was dead," he said. "I don't know why he didn't pull the trigger."

Tom and Paul were arrested at gunpoint and released hours later thanks to negotiations by the Red Cross.

A fascinating read.

When it comes to danger pay, Tom and Paul earned it, as did Peter Worthington while covering wars during his foreign correspondent years.

No comments:

Post a Comment