Tuesday 18 October 2011

Author No. 56

TSF has caught up to John Downing, one of the more prolific Toronto Sun writers over the decades, for his book efforts.

John's two co-authored published books and background on other book projects make him the 56th current and former Toronto Sun employee on our author list.

Downing, John
Once Upon a Century: 100 Year History of The Ex, co-author, 1978, J.H. Robinson Publishing Ltd., 143 pages (NF); The Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition - Its History From 1961-2007, co-author, 2007, ProVidea Inc., 111 pages (NF)

John tells TSF: "Regarding books: I was a ghost writer for Jack McClelland, of McClelland and Stewart, on two books: Mayor of all the People, 207 pages, about Nathan Phillips, who served longer than every Toronto mayor except for Art Eggleton, and Thirty Years of Ontario Political Action, 210 pages, about A. Kelso Roberts, the former A-G who led three different times in the conventions to be the Tory choice for premier.

"Under my name, I wrote part of Once Upon A Century: 100 Year History of The Ex,  the book marking the CNE centennial. I also wrote part of the history of the Toronto Outdoor Art Show - Its History From 1961-2007. 

"As bizarre as it sounds, I wrote chapters for two books on Toronto political history and got paid, but I have no idea now as to the names, nor do I have copies. 

"That's what happens when you write a daily column, are doing weekly commentary on radio and TV, some magazine work and are also trying to get home to watch three sons playing hockey, football and baseball.

"Ryerson University, in the early 1970s, hired me to write its official history, accepted the manuscript and paid me, then decided, I think, that its beginnings were too humble to be documented in the competitive world seeking donations. I am now rewriting the manuscript and will publish it myself."

If you have worked at the Toronto Sun for any length of time since Day One in 1971 and have added a published book to your resume, email the details to TSF by Nov. 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment