Friday 30 March 2007

Publisher resigns

Guy Huntingford has resigned as publisher and CEO of the Calgary Sun, effective today.

News of his resignation comes on a day when Toronto Star readers are reading Antonia Zerbisias' column about the fading Sun Media newspapers and the key people who are jumping ship.

Guy, a 26-year Sun Media vet and Calgary Sun publisher for seven years, announced his resignation in an e-mail to staff today:

"All Staff:

I have resigned.

I will be leaving today.

The corporate office asked that I wait until my last day before announcing that I am leaving. That provides very little time for me to say goodbye. I will try and get around to each dept before I go.

It has been my pleasure to work with all of you.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 26 years and especially my last 7+ years as your Publisher. I have no plans at this writing except to relax and consider some next steps.

Thank you all for making my time at the Calgary Sun such an enjoyable one.

Cheers

GH"

As publisher, Guy was highly visible to Calgary Sun employees and to readers. A recent Publisher's Message from Guy can be read here.

Guy began his career with Sun Media Corporation in September of 1981 when he joined the Toronto Sun as a systems analyst.

A Calgary Sun source says the "much loved" publisher's departure is the third resignation of key staff at the paper in the past month.

Chris Nelson, the paper's editor-in-chief, resigned in February and is now president of e-health for the Calgary Health Region.

Chris was with Sun Media for 25 years.

When Chris resigned, Guy told reporters "the paper's loss is the CHR's gain.

"First and foremost, Chris is the only executive editor I've encountered who had a true appreciation for the entire business, not just the business of editorial or words," Huntingford said.

"He understands the delicate balance between advertising, news, promotions and all the things that make the Calgary the great paper that he edited and built. He'll be sorely missed."

As Guy will be sorely missed.

The third key staffer to resign in the past month was Carson Ayckroyd, advertising director.

No comments:

Post a Comment