Wednesday 30 April 2008

Tracy's response

Tracy McLaughlin/McConkey has posted the following comment in response to TSF's query about the same stories in the Barrie Examiner and Toronto Sun with different bylines:

Tracy McLaughlin has left a new comment on your post:

"Hi readers, I posted my reasons for the "2 Tracys" earlier, but don't see it on the blog so I will post it again.

Yes, we are one and the same. I recently was married for the first time at the age of 50. I had planned to do the old-fashioned thing and go by my new married name of McConkey, but after some 20 years of being a news writer/photographer, I discovered that suddenly going by a different name will pose a problem for many of my contacts.

So I have decided to use my married name locally in the Barrie Examiner and my tried and true name of McLaughlin for all other media, including the Toronto Sun.

In fact, I have many different personalities so only going by two names seems really quite simple. But I'm open to suggestions/critisism (sic)."

If Sun Media doesn't object, discussion over. Traditionally, female journalists have kept their maiden names professionally, or have become hyphenated.

Using your maiden name and married name on the same stories for two different newspapers is one for the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment