Friday 24 December 2010

Memories of Ken

Updated 6/01/11 re daughter's comments

Ken Robertson wore numerous hats in his lifetime, but his pen earned him the most publicity - as a Toronto Telegram and Toronto Sun (Day Oner) newsman and as an author. 

After his death from cancer Wednesday at Orillia Soldiers' Memorial Hospital, we invited memories of Ken from all who crossed paths with him in his 87 years.

Lynn Tymczyszyn, Ken's daughter, writes:

"Ken Robertson was my Dad. Thank you all for your comments. I am sitting here reading them with tears in my eyes.

"Dad recovered from cancer surgery in November 2009, but the cancer came back. He was not feeling well for the past few months but kept going. He wanted to finish his book. He had two chapters to go.

"Jack Hutton suggested his news buddies send me stories about my Dad and we will include them in the book. I think that is a fantastic idea. Dad would love it.

"Dad also asked me to write about his new Great Grandson "Charlie" who he loved so much. He said something about this baby made everything perfect.

"My Dad asked me to publish the book, so I will try. I will welcome any stories you can send to me. I have many memories, but some of my favorite times with Dad were sailing on "Shadow" across Lake Ontario. I would phone him every day asking if we could go.

"I miss him so much. We are planning a Celebration of his Life, I think at Windcharm, in the spring. I hope all of his friends will come.

"Thank you."

John Iaboni, a Toronto Sun Day Oner in sports, writes:

"Well, our Sun Family has lost another great one. But what a life he lived and continues to live because those of us privileged to have worked with Kenny will always be touched by his ever-present smile, by the words of encouragement he provided in the heat of the battle and how he always ensured we knew how proud he was when the job was well done.

"I first met Kenny in 1968 as a teenager working in the Tely's incredibly seasoned and talented sports department. My initial thought? What a nice man. Time working together proved my first impressions to be correct.

"From those beginnings through those wild, crazy and proud days as Day Oners at the Sun, he never changed. It was a comfort for me to come to work each day and see him there, the face of calm yet prepared to dig in to kick the opposition's butt - and believe me, EVERY department at the Sun did that more often than not - always ready with a hello and constantly showing a caring interest in one's life away from work.

"It was a sad day when he left the Sun but, as I recall, he talked about his love for boating, life in Orillia and his family so he was ready to move on.

"Tally ho, Ken.

"To Kenny's family, my deepest condolences."

John Downing,  a Toronto Sun Day Oner, pays tribute to his old friend in a blog posting at Downing's Views. Here are his first few paragraphs:

"The Toronto Telegram died in 1971 but its memories live on with a shrinking band of survivors from the final wonderful and wacky decade.

"We just lost another one when Kenny Robertson died at 87. He wasn't famous. The tales of the newspaper war of Star vs. Tely in the 1960s seldom mention his name. The histories of the Sun skip by this Day Oner.

"But anyone who has ever been an editor or laboured in the trenches, when deadlines harass and the damned opposition probably has the pickup pictures or the key quotes, know that it is the Kenny Robertsons of journalism who form the spine of your paper, not the bosses or the stars.

"When they're agreeable as well as dependable, when they don't grumble as they ignore food or sleep until they get the story, then you have the bonus that was Kenny Robertson, two-way man."

The full Downing tribute can be read here.

Cal Millar, former Toronto Sun Day Oner cop desk chief and recently retired from the Toronto Star, writes:

"Just wanted to drop a line and thank you for letting everyone know about Ken’s death. He will be sadly missed.

"I first met Ken while I was working on provincial dailies before making my way in 1967 to the Toronto Telegram.

"He had a drive that never stopped and was an inspiration to young reporters.

"After joining the Tely, it was a privilege to cover stories with him in Toronto and be on assignments with him across the country and elsewhere.

"He never went away without getting the story and was never satisfied unless there were no more facts to get.

"It was also a great honor working with him when the Toronto Sun began in 1971. He  (as city editor) knew the job of a reporter and knew what to expect when someone was sent out on an assignment.

"Sadly, with the death of Ken Robertson and far too many others I have known who predeceased him, our industry has lost a lot of talent and experience that will never be replaced."

Hugh Wesley, former veteran Toronto Sun photographer and photo chief, writes: "He was one of the very best humans I have ever known, and most alive.

"I'll miss him and his bright quick mind. RIP Kenny."

Christi Carmichael writes: "Ken was a colleague and friend of my dad's from their days at the Tely

"Two years ago, I was hit by a car while crossing the street. My dad forwarded my email I'd sent about it to Ken. Within days, I received a parcel in the mail.

"Enclosed was Ken's Windcharm book and a lovely note wishing me a swift recovery and hoping that I would enjoy reading his stories while I healed. 

"And I surely did! (The stories) were so vivid and poignant. I loved them. I told him so. And we became pen pals. He was so kind, sweet, talented and funny. 

"I will sorely miss his emails, but I'm pretty sure that I'll still hear his words in my head.

"Tally Ho, indeed."

2 comments:

  1. I'm incredibly surprised that the Sun has not mentioned the passing of one of our day oners, Ken Robertson.Nada, not a word, nothing!

    Is this because there is no one left who remembers him?

    How sad!!

    Bill Sandford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn Tymczyszyn said:
    Ken Robertson was my Dad. Thank you all for your comments. I am sitting here reading them with tears in my eyes. Dad recovered from cancer surgery Nov. 2009 but the cancer came back. He was not feeling well for the past few months but kept going. He wanted to finish his book. He had 2 chapters to go. Jack Hutton suggested his news buddies send me stories about my Dad and we will include them in the book. I think that is a fantastic idea. Dad would love it. Dad also asked me to write about his new Great Grandson "Charlie" who he loved so much. He said something about this baby made everything perfect. My Dad asked me to publish the book so I will try. I will welcome any stories you can send to me. I have many memories but some of my favorite times with Dad were sailing on "Shadow" across Lake Ontario. I would phone him every day asking if we could go. I miss him so much.
    We are planning a Celebration of his Life, I think at Windcharm in the spring. I hope all of his friends will come. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete